As you probably already know, this month’s theme for our Merry Christmas sew along is birds. Kristie designed a cool Partridge on a Pear ornament. Here is my version:
Did you know that Kristie and I decided on themes, but we wanted to keep our designs a secret from each other, as well as the rest of you? So when you see the ornament for the first time, it is also OUR turn to see it for the first time~ so FUN!
Anyway, when I was trying to some up with ideas for a bird ornament I had a terrible time! I wanted to include some holly ( because Christmas MUST include holly somehow) but I just wasn’t happy with any design I came up with . When I finally came up with a design, I printed it off and got to work on it, but it turned out way too BIG
…it is more like a potholder! So finally, after reducing the size twice more, I was happy! Here is the final ornament:
how sweet is he?!
And here are your instructions :). As usual, please ask questions if something is not clear, either here or in the facebook group, and please, please, PLEASE post pictures in the group! It is so much fun for us to see your work!
- piece of light colored fabric about 5 inches square
- piece of batting the same size
- piece of wool or wool felt slightly bigger
- embroidery floss in green, red, and black
- piece of ribbon about 10 inches long
- pattern ( click here)(*right click on the image to save it to your computer so you can print it*)
- Trace the pattern onto your light colored fabric and layer on top of your batting. Place in your hoop.
- Using a backstitch and 2 strands of floss, embroider the bird and the leaves. (For color please refer to the sample in the photo above!)
- Use a french knot to embroider the holly berries.
- Press your work and trace a circle around your design.( I used my embroidery hoop but if your hoop is too big, use a lid, a bowl, a can of food…whatever you can find around the house to mark the correct size!)
Cut around your marked circle and center on your felt/wool.
6. Take a 10 inch piece of ribbon or jute and place it in BETWEEN the felt and your embroidery.
7. Pin and then sew very slowly all around the edge with a 1/4 inch seam.
8. Now trim your felt with a wavy kind of cut all around, making sure that you do not cut your ribbon!
9. Voilà, all done! This is what it looks like from the back: And this is what it looks like from the front:
Now how cute is that!?!
Enjoy making your own birdie and have fun with it. Remember, this is your ornament so make it your own! Don’t stress over not having the exact right materials, just use what you have on hand…it will be beautiful, I am sure!
I will be back next Monday with the 3rd block in the I Love Home BOM quilt ….I hope to see you back here then ( and if you want to make sure you don’t miss out on any of my posts, please sign yourself up to follow me by email~ the link is in the sidebar). And don’t forget you have until Wednesday, September 27th to enter to win a copy of the summer issue of Simply Vintage ( one of my favorite magazines!). Visit this post for more details.
Until next time, happy creating!
Here are some links to products in this post:
Purple thang.…you don’t know what you are missing until you get one of these…so handy!
Embroidery hoop…this small size is really nice to have!
Embroidery floss...I like having a nice selection to choose from! I have this set and really like how it handles.
This post contains affiliate links which means that if you buy something through one of my links, I will receive a small commission at NO EXTRA cost to you. This helps keep my blog up and running~ Thanks!