I wanted to design a simple placemat and , seeing as it’s close to Easter, I decided it should be a Bunny placemat!
This is what you will need:
- 8 white/light squares at 3 7/8 inch. Mark a diagonal line on the back of all 8, corner to corner.
- 8 colored squares at 3 7/8 inch. These can be scrappy or one color family.
- 6 1/2 by 12 1/2 background rectangle.( this should contrast well with the bunny fabric you are choosing).
- a piece of fabric for the bunny applique, about 6 by 12 inches, plus little scraps for inner ears and nose.
- One 2 1/2 by 10 1/2 strip
- piece of batting 18 by 14
- piece of backing 19 by 15
- fusible web
- bunny pattern
- embroidery floss
- binding strips cut 2 1/2 ” wide and sewn together to make a binding strip approx.65 ” long.
- Layer 1 white square on top of one colored square ( right sides together) and sew 1/4 inch on both sides of drawn line. Cut apart on line and press seams open. ( you will now have a half square triangle). Repeat for all squares. Trim your half square triangles so they measure 3″ square.
- Sew 4 squares together to make a block that measures 5 1/2 ” ( trim if necessary).
- Repeat with other squares until you have 4 blocks, each measuring 5 1/2 inches.
- Sew 2 of the squares side to side.
- Repeat with last 2 squares.
- Sew a 2 1/2 by 10 1/2 strip in between the square sets, horizontally.Press seams towards strip. This should now measure 10 1/2 by 12 1/2. Trim up, if necessary.
- Trace the bunny pattern onto fusible web. Trace the ears and nose. Fuse these to the back of your chosen fabrics and cut out.
- Following the picture example, fuse the bunny body and ear inners and nose to the background fabric (6 1/2 by 12 1/2).
- Stitch down your applique using your preferred method.
- Using 3 strands of embroidery floss, embroider whiskers. Sew on 2 buttons for eyes ( or embroider the eyes~ DO NOT USE buttons for young children!)
- Sew the bunny side to the pieced side. Press towards the bunny side.Trim to measure 16 1/2 by 12 1/2.Place your backing fabric wrong side up, Place your batting on top of backing, and place placemat on top. Baste and quilt.I quilted mine in the ditch between the different sections, and then did the diagonals in the blocks. I also quilted around the bunny.
- Trim your finished piece to measure 16 1/2″ by 12 1/2″
- Sew on binding. Tadaaaa! All done!
One adorable bunny placemat all finished! If you want to make a table runner instead, you could make more “placemat” units and sew them together end to end and make a longer unit!
Hope you enjoy making this pattern! And if you have ANY questions or something is “clear as mud”, please don’t hesitate to contact me! I am always happy to help!